The Southwell Company has been manufacturing quality marking products & signs in San Antonio, Texas since 1866. Here are some of our single sided bronze and aluminum historical markers.
Historic Landmark 1905 Bay City Historic Commission. The Sargent Rugeley Herreth Home. On May 5, 1969. A.C. Herreth Jr. and wife Georgia, purchased this home. It had been vacant for a number of years and required extensive restoration, which included landscaping and the planting of the main beautiful oak trees. With true Southern hospitality, the Herreth family has opened their home to many churches, civic, cultural. historical, patriotic and political organizations in which they held memberships and positions of leadership. Visitors to the Herreth home have included
Methacton High School. Lighted Turf Fields, Softball Fields, Track Improvements, and Other Amenities. 2015. Methacton School District Board of School Directors. S. Christian Nascimento – President. Brenda G. Hackett – Vice President. James W. Phillips. Cathleen Barone. Herbert B. Rothe, III. Peter MacFarland. Maria Shackelford, Gregory J. Pellicano. Kim Woodring, Dr. David A. Zerbe – Siperintendent of schools. Stuart Whiteleather – Chief Financial officer. Judith C. Gallagher – Landis – Principal. Frank R. Bartle, Esq – Solicitor
Knox Chapel. Dedicated to the memory of the lives of Christian service of Robert Knox, D. D. Maie Borden Knox. Missionaries to Korea. 1907 – 1950. Commemoration the 175th anniversary of the first Presbyterian Church Galveston Texas. 1840-2015. By Robert Knox Rider Tiffany Ferne Rider Parmenter.
The Longest Road – These Ruins are all that’s left of the original homestead of Christoffer Lange, an gentle German beer-maker who settled this land in 1841. He brewed small batches of lager from headwaters of the pedernales river (2 miles north) and stored it in a cool cellar somewhere on this property. Later generations of his family lived in this farmhouse until 1925 when it was converted to other uses. In 1967, Lange’s 17-year-old great-great grandson Conrad – who dreamed of being a writer – stowed his typewriter here and parked his bike beside this stone wall before enlisting in the Marine Corps and shipping out to Vietnam. Sadly, He was presumed killed in Quang Tri in 1968, but his body was never recovered. His parents prayed until the day they dies that their beloved “Connie” would miraculously return someday, so they left his bike just where you see it today.
Cast aluminum historic marker plaques.
cast aluminum plaques
John Wesley Hardin. John Wesley Hardin was not an outlaw; he was, however, a killer. It began with the accidental killing of an ex-slave during the time of one of the most corrupt administrations to ever occupy the governor’s office. Hardin was 15 years old when the rangers came after him, and he killed them too. By April of 1874 when Hardin, Jim Taylor, and cousins pushed a herd of longhorns into the town of Hamilton, he had been the state police’s most wanted man for years. With the cattle drive that would push the herd north over a month away, Hardin and the others decided to spend the time in Comanche, Where they could visit family. Comanche was known for good horse racing, and with race day planned for Hardin’s 21st birthday, Comanche was the perfect place to celebrate. By nightfall of May 26, 1874, the boys had won over $3,000 as well as most of the horses and the wagons in the county. Taking their winnings to town, the celebrating began in the Carnes-Wilson Saloon, on the west end of the north side of the square. soon the entourage moved up the street, heading east, where the Jack Wright Saloon was located, no one realizing that Brown Coundty Deputy Charles Webb had com to town for the purpose of killing Hardin.
Hirstein Cemetery. Hirstein Cemetery is traceable to the early 1800’s when many of its graves sites were marked with wooden crosses, and many grave stones were written in German. Buried here are Samuel and Gertrude Hirstein, who both immigrated to America from Germany, married in Ohio in 1841 and later purchased farmland surrounding this area. In 1855 they formally granted one acre of land for cemetery purposes to the trustees of what had been known as Radliff Burial Ground. In 1888 Samuel and Gertrude’s daughter. Barbara Hartman, and her husband Henry deeded an additional 2.14 acres – plus a strip of land for a road to the cemetery – to the trustees of what had become Hirstein Graveyard. Hirstein Cemetery became the formal name in 1918. Periodically since 1990 the size of Hirstein Cemetery has expanded for future use.
Dunbar School 1927 – 1956 Centralia’s Public School system operated Dunbar School for African-American students from 1927 until desegregation in 1956. The two-room brick structure, located on the corner of West Wilson and Fullenwider Streets, was named after Paul Laurence Dunbar: a child of slaves, renowned poet, novelist and playwright. The brick two room school was constructed with a hipped-ridge roof, coal stove-heaters, and black-painted plaster walls for chalk boards. One teacher taught 20 to 30 students in grades 1-8. High School was not available in Centralia for African-American teens until the 1940s, when the district provided a school bus to fifteen miles away to Garfield High School in Mexico, Mo. In 1956, the Dunbar School was closed when African-American students joined the rest of the student population in Centralia R-6 schools. Once closed, the building was sold and, over time, Dunbar School was abandoned and almost forgotten. This marker honors the African-American children and their teachers who walked through the floors of Dunbar School. They paved the path of equality for all who follow, and changed the face of a community, making Centralia a better place to live.